How Do I Shrink the Moon


My mom says my imagination is too big.
I should cut it into smaller pieces
so the coloring book in my head
can fit on the kitchen table.

But how do I shrink the moon
or turn a rainbow into ribbon
when tomorrow seems a year away?

I never fit where I am or reach where I want to go.
Chairs are uncomfortable, shoes keep my feet from
feeling the grass, and every time I see a butterfly
I know one day I’ll have wings.

Mom can’t hear the dandelions or hold a spoon
against the window to catch drops of sunlight
before night covers it with stars. 

I don’t think I ever want to grow up. I’d be too bored.
Where would I put my teddy bears when my bed
is nothing but an ocean of pillows?

Susie Clevenger 2024 

Susie Clevenger 2024

Comments

  1. This is a really sweet look at childhood wonderings. I especially love the stanza that begins "Mom can't hear the dandelions...." Kids do seem so much closer to the earth. Beautiful, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "turn a rainbow into ribbon when tomorrow seems a year away?" - This is brilliant , i love this poem. That image of turning a rainbow into a ribbon. A present forevermore. and an ocean of pillows to sink into . I love it. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the details you included, and the line "I knew one day I'll have wings" is glorious! Like you, I was one who wasn't looking forward to growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie,
    A real reflection back to very impressionistic times. I love your details, especially related to making space for those teddy bears...cushions can never replace our childhood favourites:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and every time I see a butterfly
    I know one day I’ll have wings.
    - oh just brilliantly put... that belief and innocence and beauty, well captured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The child in the poem opens a door to a wonderland which truly exists; only one needs an eye and a heart to see and feel it. "Mom can’t hear the dandelions or hold a spoon / against the window to catch drops of sunlight" My favorite lines and also that rainbow turning into ribbons. Absolutely brilliant, Susie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tantrum

Dust Spew of Dragons

Rejecting the Wound