I Listened to the Photographs


My wings are feathers
of ink and pages, spines
of titles, wonders that form
from every sentence and exclamation. 


In late autumn’s 
storm of leaves
I will be your umbrella
so you won’t feel their tears.


A thousand clipped blossoms
spilled across the sand
from an open car door.

I suppose someone thought
it was romantic, a gesture
to awe a heart.

In the dust mirror of summer
all I could see was a garden
grieving it could no longer
hear the honeybees.


Winter watches from the horizon.
It’s barren antlers of oak limbs
writing gothic poems across brittle grass
that can longer feel the color of green. 


He tossed his hat into the wind
trusting fate had a warm heart.

Silly man never considered
fire takes a spark, not a sliver of ice. 


If I lit a candle
for each of my mistakes,
I’d have every bridge burned
before I could cross it. 


open me to ink
there are a thousand stories
buried on my tongue


©Susie Clevenger 2024

Word Crafters Prompt



 

Comments

  1. From your wings being feathered in ink to a thousand stories buried on your tongue each one is a grand canyon on a page my friend. You always say so much in brilliant and beautiful brevity and that is a true gift Susie! I love them all!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tantrum

Dust Spew of Dragons

Rejecting the Wound