Torn

cry, flower, girl

Sunrise turns the sky’s
moonlit path into orange
as I watch my lover's silhouette
transform into rose flesh.

Light dances among
the blackberry curls of her hair,
and I wonder what visions
she sees across the salt marsh.

We have torn our hearts into
puzzle pieces trying to redefine
what today would mean, but
goodbye can never become whole.

Trapped in Poe’s haunting
raven’s crow of “nevermore” 
neither can let go of the obsession
to twist ourselves into an impossible dream.

I don’t want to break the spell her
eyes speak to the horizon, but leaving
now owns the few hours we have.
I don't want tears to write our memories.

 ©Susie Clevenger 2019

Margaret's challenge at Real Toads had us writing in colors. From the color list she provided I chose the following colors: Moonlit Path, (Victoria)Rose, Salt Marsh(es), Raven (Wing), Nevermore(Grey), (Violet)Obsession.








Comments

  1. I loved the puzzles here, Susie. Parting is hard, then hard still to remember later.
    This verse got me, an admitted puzzle. "We have torn our hearts into puzzle pieces trying to redefine what today would mean," a riddle with no answers, "but goodbye can never become whole."
    Profound!!!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Light dances among
    the blackberry curls of her hair, - how ingenious that line and how cleverly you avoided the raven locks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "leaving now owns the few hours we have" You can sense the countdown of time and not wanting those final moments to be written with tears. I like the wordplay of that as well - tears (crying) or tears (apart) - the ending brings it back to the title "Torn". And the feeling that the writer does not want to be torn apart or separated by leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her blackberry curls, and her gazing across the salt marsh. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredibly moving, Susie. I love; "I don't want tears to write our memories."

    ReplyDelete
  6. That blackberry curls line- oh my! Beautiful Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the last line: "I don't want tears to write our memories"...a beautiful write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too adore "blackberry curls" and these are the moments that are engrained into our memories - and we often are aware of it as we have enjoyed ourselves and have yet (but soon) to say goodbye in some way... whether to a nice weekend getaway or a parting of a loved one... Either way, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The image you have created of the lover is extremely intriguing. You have woven a unique tale with the colourful phrases.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "leaving
    now owns the few hours we have.
    I don't want tears to write our memories."

    When you know goodbye is coming, you want
    every minute to count. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That middle stanza really aches.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tantrum

Dust Spew of Dragons

Rejecting the Wound